Sunday, January 20, 2013

it changes everything ~




Meditation ~

By meditation I can converse with God, solace myself on the bosom of the Saviour, bathe myself in the rivers of divine pleasure, tread the paths of my rest, and view the mansions of eternity.  - Anonymous

The Lord has taught me in the past year and a half what "meditation" is.  It is not as mysterious as it sounds or as I've always made it out to be.

Get alone with God!

Pray first!

Then . . .

Meditation is just getting into the Word; asking for and trusting in the leading and teaching of the Holy Spirit; reading Scripture in large chunks every day; concentrating on what it is saying; listening; loving and joying in what is in each chapter and verse; dig deeper.

This has not been like a "Bible study" for me; it's been a "getting alone with my Savior (and dearest friend) and enjoying and loving Him." 

I think reading the book of Romans in sections of four chapters a day - the whole book in four days (16 chapters) - over and over and over and over - was the beginning of a new journey for me.

Then the book of John. Same thing.
Then many of the Psalms. Same thing.
Hebrews. Same thing.
Reading and re-reading Psalm 119 - over and over
etc., etc., etc. 

It changes everything ~

Time alone with God ~ 
Time in the Word ~ 
Listening. Listening. Listening.
Worship ~ 
Thinking about Jesus and His atonement for me ~
Thinking about El-Shaddai ~
Thanking Him for all things ~

Meditation is a life-changing spiritual activity!

Blessings,
Jayne



4 comments:

  1. This makes me wish I had started doing that same thing long ago. Your joy in God is infectious and makes everyone around you more joyful.

    I'm so happy that God has engulfed you with His Love and Joy as a result of such a close walk with Him! :)

    Thank you for sharing!! It's definitely an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comments! You know I'm old, so it's never too late to begin something, is it?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reminder to take the time! Time with Him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. This does go along with your considering "time," doesn't it?

      Delete